You have heard about someone talking about using hot glue to resize the ring. But, will hot glue damage a ring? What do you do when you realize that your ring runs a size bigger and you don’t have time to take the ring to the jeweler? For most people, the first thing they’d do is to look up remedies online.
One of the remedies recommended involves the use of hot glue. But is the use of hot glue the only remedy for reducing the size of the ring? And if this is your only option, how safe is it?
In this article, we’ll look at everything you need to know about the use of hot glue for reducing the size of the ring.
So, let’s get started.
Will hot glue damage a ring?
Using hot glue to reduce the size of your ring is easily one of the most recommended solutions on the internet, and though it works, it is an imperfect solution.
One of the risks associated with the use of hot glue includes the risk of color change, and also, the ring may be torn its stretched out using a lot of force.
The hot glue will not, however, cause any long term damage to the ring. You can use glue to easily resize the ring.
Tips for Making a Ring Smaller With Hot Glue
To avoid damaging the ring, you need to follow these steps.
First, get your tools – the hot glue, a ring that’s a little too big, and a piece of paper that you will put the glue on.
Since you are using a hot glue gun, you need to make sure that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions about how to use the glue and the gun.
Once the glue gun is ready and fired up, you should pour a small amount of the glue on the cardboard. Using a toothpick, smear some of the hot glue on the ring’s interior – this is the part of the ring’s band that will make contact with your finger.
Besides the use of the toothpick, you could also opt to place a dot of the hot glue on the ring’s interior, straight from the hot glue gun.
For this, you need to makes sure that the ring stands upright until the glue dries up completely.
To maintain the upright position, you could use something like a stick, pencil, or a pen to hang the ring from, say from the top of a cup or glass. Keeping the ring in the air will ensure that the glue dries out completely.
Once you’ve gathered all these things, follow these steps:
- Clean the ring well using a ring cleaner, then place the hot glue on the piece of paper.
- Next, dip the ring in the hot glue, and then allow the ring to dry for about 5 minutes.
- Once it’s dried, you can try out the ring. If it’s still big, you should repeat the steps above.
- As mentioned above, hot glue to the ring will not cause damage to the ring.
The other benefits of using hot glue include:
- The capacity to change the size of the ring by 2 or 3 ring sizes
- The glue will peel off easily, allowing you to fix the size of the ring in case you underestimate the size the ring.
- The use of the hot glue to resize the ring is also super easy.
Other tips to ensure easy, and correct resizing
- Confirm the size of the ring and by how much you need to resize it
- Verify the new size of the ring
- Think about the material used for the ring, and don’t use conventional, DIY methods if your ring is made of expensive materials and gemstones.
Using hot glue makes it easy to reduce the size of your ring. Just make sure you follow the steps above, and you will have a perfect fitting ring in about a minute. For more useful tips, please visit this category or visit our homepage for more tips.
Tiger is a fashion&jewelry lover. He is also a fashion jewelry manufacturer that help thousands of small business to grow and also do business with some big fashion jewelry brands. He is a truly metal expert and he will share some information you are looking for.