It may seem that according to most celebrities, the bigger (and heavier) the jewelry, the better it feels and looks.
But looking at their photos often makes you cringe and wonder why they do it in the first place because those heavy earrings and necklaces do not look comfortable.
Why then do celebrities choose heavy jewelry, and how do they wear them to avoid harm to their earlobes?
Why do some celebrities wear heavy earrings and necklaces
Heavy, shoulder-length earrings by Oscar De La Renta or even faux versions by Moschino seem to be great hits among celebrities, and they never seem to get enough of these grand and heavy jewelry pieces.
And they seem to have all kinds of heavy jewelry, with the chandelier earrings and large statement bib necklaces being common choices for them.
1. Although this may seem concerning, they do it because the big earrings and the necklaces are trendy and the best expression of their style.
Granted that most of these celebrities dress up and show off in the big red carpet moments where the only rule to be adhered to is to look stunning. And so, the heavy accessories are necessary for that bold, glamorous look that the red carpet demands.
2. Also, most of the jewelry they wear are showpieces by big designer brands. The large 128-carat yellow diamond Lady Gaga wore at the 2019 Oscars was heavy but also bold and stunning.
For such pieces, and others by brands like Cartier, Oscar De La Renta, etc., the bold jewelry worn are statement pieces that are worn for short periods.
In such cases, the celebrities are canvasses that showcase the beauty of designer jewelry pieces. In other words, these kinds of large and heavy jewelry options are not for practical purposes but for showcasing.
3. It’s also worth noting that these kinds of jewelry allow people to appreciate the capabilities of the big designer brands and what is possible in the jewelry. It, therefore, serves as a source of inspiration to aspiring designers.
4. The heavy earrings and necklaces will always get you the best compliments because everyone who sees them cannot help but admire their earrings. In a society where we crave instant gratification, compliments take the day, even if it means wearing heavy earrings for some hours.
5. The weight notwithstanding, these earrings are just too pretty not to be worn. These earrings sell because of the dramatic effect that they carry and create.
6. Finally, many celebrities opt for the big and heavy accessories that perfectly complement their appearance and complete the outfit they opt to wear. In most cases, their outfits seem incomplete without the bold jewelry.
How do celebrities manage to wear heavy earrings and necklaces?
1. First, they wear the accessories for short periods, which is the most important tip to keep in mind when it comes to protecting your earlobes from stretching or tearing from the extra weight of the earrings. Since most of them will wear the heavy earrings for some hours and then take them off, sometimes, between 1 and 4 hours, they don’t harm their earlobes. Sometimes, they take weeks or maybe days before wearing the earrings, meaning these heavy pieces don’t hurt them as much.
2. There is also the fact that most of the celebrities that go all out on the jewelry are younger which means that their ear lobes bounce back almost instantly thanks to the optimum collagen production. As you grow older, collagen production reduces, so you may have to wear less heavy earrings when you are older.
3. Ear support patches. While the jewelry industry keeps redefining what they offer and you will now find that most of the large earrings and necklaces don’t weigh as much as they look, thanks to the use of lightweight materials and weight distribution techniques, they now make invisible ear support patches that will prevent the ears from getting pulled apart by the extra weight of the earrings.
The patches distribute the weight of the earrings by strengthening and supporting the ear lobes whenever you wear heavy, chunky earrings.
These patches keep the piercing holes small and avert the risk of tearing. Besides ear support patches, many other individuals opt to take up their earlobes when they have to wear heavy earrings.
4. Some heavy earrings are elegantly designed clip-on earrings that will not stretch out or tear the earlobe. These chunky pieces are also designed so that they don’t exert too much pressure or weight on the earlobes, which means that they are an excellent option for anyone who doesn’t want to risk stretching out their earlobes.
And with many options of designer clip-on designer earrings available today, most of which are made well, the idea of clip-on earrings is now fancy and trendy.
5. Also, it’s worth mentioning that most heavy jewelry is not heavy because those chunky and seemingly heavy accessories are made of lightweight materials like hollow metals, which instantly reduce weight and lower the stress on the earlobes.
Besides hollow metals, others are made of lightweight materials like resin, bakelite, or plastic, and these are very light and will not harm the earlobes.
Jewelers understand the importance of lightweight accessories and now focus on creating durable, stunning, chunky, long, lightweight earrings and necklaces.
6. Wearing the best quality jewelry. The other thing that allows celebrities to wear heavy earrings and necklaces safely and with no risk of ear damage is that they often opt for the finest quality jewelry.
Most wear high karat gold and 925 sterling silver, platinum, titanium, and other high-quality nickel-free hypoallergenic earrings and necklaces. They avoid costume jewelry because it may cause irritation and/or infections, especially when you have sensitive skin.
7. Lastly, the ser is a common best friend to anyone who loves to wear heavy earrings. Ser refers to the delicate metal chain that supports heavy earrings by attaching to the hair, shifting the extra weight, and leaving you with a protected earlobe.
It’s all for beauty, and even the heavy earrings and necklaces can be safe if you wear high-quality accessories and avoid costume jewelry.
Stephanie is a jewelry lover when she was a teenager. Her major was fashion design when she was in college. She is a jewelry designer at SOQ Jewelry and other design companies. Now she is also a writer for our website. She writes a lot of designs&brands posts with very actionable tips.