Jewelry is one of the most culturally diverse things in the world today, and it not only helps in identifying these cultures but also gives you a good idea of what to expect from different cultures and how to appreciate them.
The belly chain is one such type of jewelry, and if you have been looking for diverse jewelry options that would complement your style and also offer the best appreciation for culture.
But what exactly does the belly chain mean?
What are belly chains for?
The belly chain refers to a type of body jewelry that is worn around your waist. Some of the belly chains have a feature that allows for their attachment to the navel piercing, and in such cases, the belly chains are known as the pierced belly chains.
Oftentimes, these belly chains are also known as pierced belly chains, and they are made of either gold or silver. That said, there are a few instances where the belly chains are made of thread rather than metals.
But regardless of the material the belly chains are made of, the belly chains are essentially thin and delicate, although there are many other options that are thick and heavy.
But what do these belly chains mean?
Well, for starters, the belly chains that date back to over 4,000 years ago, tracing back to the Indian subcontinent, have been common in India, where they were worn by both men and women.
The belly chains were worn as important cultural elements that were also a crucial part of important Indian religious ceremonies. The belly chains were also worn as accessories meant to show the wearer’s affluence and status in society.
The belly chains were also quite common among the Indian women who considered the waist chains essential cultural elements. Newborns from this part of the world were also given waist chains made of waist strings.
Boys would stop wearing the waist chains in their teenage years, although most girls and a few boys would keep the waist chain tradition to adulthood.
Away from the Indian cultures and how the belly chain allows for the appreciation of the culture, the belly chain is also worn by many people women across the world as a weight loss or weight management tool that ensures the easiest way for you to determine if you have added or lost some weight.
Pro and cons of belly chain
- They are elegantly designed
- The belly chains accentuate the shape of the wearer’s waist
- The metallic belly chains with clasps are easy to take off
- The best way for you to appreciate the culture
- The belly chains are trendy, popular, and ideal for everyday wear
- Most belly chains come in specific sizes, and they are not adjustable
- Most belly chains made of thread cannot be re-worn after being cut or taken off
What does wearing a belly chain mean?
Below are some of the reasons why the belly chains are important:
- Belly chains and waist beads are also great options for anyone looking for an easy, non-scale weight option. The belly chains are great for weight control because when the belly chain gets tighter around the waist, then it means that you are gaining weight, and when it loosens, one is losing weight. Therefore, to monitor your weight loss, the belly chain would be the ideal option for you. The belly chains made of beads are often worn during intimate occasions, and they have been known to enhance the wearer’s sensuality.
- The belly chains are also a symbol of fertility and have been used by most people to increase women’s fertility, especially when trying to convince.
- For other women, the belly chain is worn to signify a woman’s marital status, often a sign that a woman is of marriage age or that they could finally have suitors.
- The belly chain also is a symbol of affection and love, and it’s a great symbol to be worn during important festivals and rituals/ celebrations.
- Lastly, the belly chains are important accessories that help in body shaping. Although they don’t shape the body directly, how the belly chain sits on the waist helps to create a more accentuated waistline. It also enhances the appearance and the size of the hips by making the waist look smaller.
Are belly chains cultural appropriation?
No, they are not culturally appropriated, but they are culturally appreciated.
What cultures wear belly chains?
Although most people from all cultures of the world wear belly chains and such kinds of jewelry, Indians are better known for the belly chains.
The belly chain is an important accessory for most cultures and not just individuals from the Indian subcontinent.
It is a beautiful piece of jewelry that accentuates the waist and hips of the wearer, and it might be a great option for you if you are looking for something different, elegant, and also something that dresses your waist areas in the best way.
Also, you will be happy to know that you can wear the belly chain just because it looks great and not because of any other reason.
Read more topics here or here!
Stephanie is a jewelry lover when she was a teenager. Her major was fashion design when she was in college. She is a jewelry designer at SOQ Jewelry and other design companies. Now she is also a writer for our website. She writes a lot of designs&brands posts with very actionable tips.