Engagement rings, for a long time now, have signified the promise of love between two people for not just a short period of time, but for a lifetime.
An engagement ring signifies the willingness of two people to live together for life as partners. For this reason, it is quite a big deal that elicits excitement and lots of joy. There are people who, however, like to wear engagement rings even when they are not engaged for one reason or the other.
There are many sentiments regarding this practice; there are people who think that wearing one without an actual engagement is wrong, and there are others who feel there is nothing wrong with it.
So, can you wear an engagement ring when you are not engaged?
Well, the answer is yes. Here’s the deal; a ring only becomes an engagement ring when you actually get engaged.
The design, stone, and other features of a ring do not qualify it as an engagement ring. Only the act of getting engaged makes a ring an engagement ring no matter what its design is or on which finger it is worn.
You can have it in any form of metal right from copper, silver, white, rose and yellow gold, tungsten, and many others.
It can also be embellished with any type of stone. In essence, you have the freedom to choose all the aspects of the ring.
You must, however, be prepared for many questions and assumptions from people around you.
Have in mind that any ring that looks like an engagement ring will put off people who are interested in you, so you have to be very clever about the way you wear the ring, especially if you actually hope to meet someone with whom you could get serious.
Is it bad luck to wear an engagement ring before the proposal?
As earlier stated, any ring worn without an engagement is just a ring. For this reason, it is not bad luck to wear one before you get engaged.
There are, however, several misconceptions and superstitions about wearing an engagement ring before getting engaged. They are outlined below.
Some superstitions about wearing an engagement ring before an engagement
There are many superstitions surrounding this topic, but a couple of them really stand out. Here are some of the most common.
- Wearing an engagement ring pre-engagement will ward off potential suitors. This, to some extent, does not qualify as a superstition. As earlier mentioned, engagement rings cause people to form loads of assumptions and opinions, and anyone that might be interested in asking you out may reconsider that decision, especially if you wear the ring on your ring finger.
- If you wear someone else’s engagement ring, you will steal the owner’s good luck and happiness, and their wedding may end up not happening. You may end up getting married instead.
- Engagements bring the luck of marriage. This myth reflects a good deal on the previous point, but differently. This particular one states that if you wear an engagement ring before you meet someone or get engaged, you are bringing yourself good luck associated with marriage. You may end up getting married sooner than you anticipated.
- If you wear an engagement ring before engagement and the finger starts to itch, you will likely get married very soon.
So, what are some of the best ways of wearing an engagement ring when you are not engaged?
4 Tips for wearing an engagement ring when you are not engaged
1. Make it look deliberate
If you have already made up your mind to get a ring that looks like an engagement ring, do not be afraid to wear it boldly. You can wear it on your ring finger if you like; it’s yours after all. Wearing a fancy ring on your index or pinky fingers will make it look out of place.
2. Steer clear of the ring finger on your left hand if you do not want to draw too much attention
Wearing an engagement ring will definitely spark loads of questions within social circles, but wearing it on your ring finger on your left hand will take the game to a whole new level.
This may work for you if it is a strategy to ward off potential suitors, but if you are only wearing the ring as a fashion accessory, you will definitely draw attention, and also keep interested parties away.
3. Accentuate the ring with a beautiful pendant and other accessories
If you want to make the ring pop better, you can try accentuating it with a beautiful pendant. The two will work together to add a beautiful dazzle to your overall look. You can also accompany the ring with a pretty bracelet or watch to make the look more complete.
When choosing accessories with which to accentuate your look, be sure to go for those that have no trouble complementing one another so that you do not have too much going on.
4. Get a beautiful manicure
If your nails stand out, your ring will shine as well. The two will work together to bring out each other’s beauty. Do not underestimate what beautiful hands can do for your confidence.
Is it okay to wear a ring on your wedding finger if you are not married?
Yes, it is perfectly fine. The truth is that it may come with a certain assumption from people, but that should not stop you from wearing a beautiful piece of jewelry on your ring finger, especially if you have a specific reason for wearing it.
Engagement rings have been a touchy topic for people who are not engaged, but more and more people are becoming more deliberate with the choices they make for themselves.
There are all sorts of beautiful rings out there, and you do not have to wait until you get engaged to wear one. Have as many ‘engagement’ rings in your collection as possible, and wear them deliberately because you can.
Stephanie is a jewelry lover when she was a teenager. Her major was fashion design when she was in college. She is a jewelry designer at SOQ Jewelry and other design companies. Now she is also a writer for our website. She writes a lot of designs&brands posts with very actionable tips.