A ring is a great way of making a statement. They come in different shapes, sizes, and designs to suit different individual preferences. Everyone has different reasons for wearing the rings. Some wear them as engagement or wedding rings. Others wear them as a statement about their personality, or because of a superstitious belief.
Of all the different types of jewelry, rings have the most symbolism. Depending on where the ring is worn, or what it’s meant to signify, rings hold many different meanings. In this post, we will discuss the meaning of wearing a lot of rings and tips on how to wear many rings.
What Does Wearing A Lot of Rings Mean?
There are different rings fashioned for different reasons, be it casual wearing or ceremonial like in engagements, weddings, or graduations. As a ring enthusiast, you may have a wide variety of rings to wear on different fingers.
You’ve probably wondered at some point whether it’s possible to wear all the rings and what wearing a lot of rings would mean. While it is possible to wear all your rings if you wish to, there is no real meaning derived from it.
At the end of the day, it’s a matter of personal style and preference.
Some people, however, believe that it’s tacky to wear numerous rings on one finger or hand. In modern times, however, stacking rings has become a trend. There are, however, some unspoken rules about wearing rings.
For example, oval-shaped rings give your fingers a more elegant and longer appearance. Also, women with short fingers shouldn’t wear big rings with big jewels as it would give the fingers an even shorter appearance.
Additionally, it is said that it is not acceptable to wear catchy or expensive jewelry until 5 p.m.
In addition to the rules, there are certain beliefs and meanings attached to wearing rings on certain hands and fingers. These beliefs are as follows:
- Right vs left hand.There is an interesting belief that your hands represent Yin and Yang. The more dominant hand is considered to be yang while the less dominant hand is considered to be Yin. Wearing a ring of the yang hand signifies giving a skill or trait, while on the yin hand signifies receiving a skill or trait. In some cultures, also, their certain rings that should be worn on a specific hand. In the US for example, the engagement and wedding ring are only worn on the left hand.
- Thumb finger.Wearing a ring on the thumb finger is mainly considered masculine. For women, it’s a sign of having male traits for men it’s a symbol of wealth and affluence. Thumb rings are also seen as a sign of self-assurance and willpower. Often thumb rings tend to be thick and bold but simple designs.
- Index finger.Rings worn on this finger are associated with Jupiter and symbolize self-confidence and leadership. For men specifically, it symbolizes social status. In some cultures, like traditional Jewish weddings, the right index finger was considered the appropriate ring finger.
- Middle finger.The middle finger is associated with Saturn and hence wearing a ring on it symbolizes balance and responsibility. Given that’s it’s the longest finger, it’s great for showing off rings.
- Ring finger.This finger is associated with Earth’s moon and is said to symbolize beauty, creativity, and romantic relationships. As a result, rings worn on this finger, especially on the left, weddings and engagements mostly the left ringer. Rings worn on this finger are mostly engagement rings, wedding rings, promise rings, and chastity rings.
- Pinky finger.Mercury is associated with this finger and rings worn on it symbolize intuition and intelligence. It is also used to signify creative and artistic qualities. For men specifically, it is used to show family status sine that is where most men wear their family rings.
How Many Rings is Too Many?
As mentioned before, there isn’t any particular meaning associated with wearing too many rings. It’s a considered a modern trend of stacking rings.
As such there aren’t a lot of rules that govern wearing the many rings. Still, you must be wondering, how many rings are considered to many?
There is no easy answer that is right or wrong when it comes to this. It is, however, recommended that you stick to at most three rings spread across both your hands.
This ensures you do not overdo it with the rings and end up looking ridiculous.
Tips for wearing lots of rings
Stacking rings is normally considered an edgy look. Besides, as a ring lover, you may have many rings you’d like to wear daily. If you’re going to wear multiple rings especially more than three, here are a few tips you can use to ensure it doesn’t look crazy or ridiculous:
- Choose a unifying element. This could be the color of the stones or the design or material. It gives a more uniform and neater look when stacking.
- Opt for a thin simple ring band. You’ll already be stacking the rings so to avoid overdoing them with thick rings. This especially applies to those with short small fingers.
- Consider stacking one finger.It’s a simple way of wearing multiple rings without looking too crazy. The middle fingers are the longest hence the best for stacking without overcrowding.
- Think about your activities for the day. Stacking could sometimes hinder your work. Therefore, think of the activities you’ll be engaging in and whether the stacked ring will get in the way.
- Chunky thumb rings. This is a great way to offset other thin bands. You could pair the thumb ring with thin bands spread across the hand for a simple yet sophisticated look.
- Equal distribution.If you choose to wear multiple rings then ensure they are distributed evenly. Some people also suggest that stacking rings in odd numbers like 3 and 5.
There is no easy answer regarding the number of rings one can wear, there are, however, various ways to stack multiple rings.
It’s all a matter of preference, if you like the appearance then everyone else will like it on you, confidence is the key.
Stephanie is a jewelry lover when she was a teenager. Her major was fashion design when she was in college. She is a jewelry designer at SOQ Jewelry and other design companies. Now she is also a writer for our website. She writes a lot of designs&brands posts with very actionable tips.