Jewelry is a great way of complimenting your outfit. The most common go-to pieces of jewelry are necklaces and earrings. You will often find them being sold as a set, in most jewelry shops.
The beauty of both is that they come in different sizes designs and materials.
The bigger question, however, is how to wear them both together. Should the necklace and earrings match?
In this post, we discuss the answer to this question as well as tips on matching your earrings and necklaces.
Does Jewelry Have to Match?
When it comes to jewelry, you have a variety of choices. You can choose to wear rings, bracelets, earrings, and/or necklaces. You can choose to wear all options as a set. The question, however, is should the jewelry match?
There is no simple answer to this question. On one hand, matching your jewelry gives you a more cohesive and simpler look. You could decide to match the jewelry in terms of metal, color, or design.
On the other hand, the idea of stacking different jewelry is slowly becoming more and more popular. It is more vibrant and unique when you mix the different jewelry. The best part is that there are no rules when it comes to stacking. It’s more about personal preference.
At the end of the day, you should be guided by your outfit. Some outfits allow for several pieces of jewelry others only require a simple set to go with it. For example, it would be better to use a simpler and more uniform set of jewelry when it comes to patterned outfits. Plain outfits, on the other hand, especially neutral colors like black or white, offer a larger canvas to play around with the jewelry.
Do Earrings Have to Match?
Earrings are a great and common choice of jewelry, they compliment all outfits and come in many designs and sizes to choose from. Often, they are sold in pairs so one would expect that your earrings should match. Today, however, a trend is quickly gaining traction where celebrities are being spotted wearing mismatched earrings and pulling them off.
Wearing mismatched earrings is a daring fashion statement. The key is to not be too mismatched. The idea is for the earrings to complement each other. You can wear earrings with different designs but of the same color and material. Alternatively, you can mismatch the colors but have a similar design. Common mismatched earrings are, for example, wearing a long or loopy earring with a studded earring. Both of them are of the same material and color but with a different design.
Some also choose to wear one earring only. Commonly such earrings are long, beaded, or feathery and offer a bohemian-like feel. If you are more of a traditionalist, there is nothing wrong with wearing matching earrings. They still offer a cohesive feel to your entire look and you don’t have to stress about mismatching your earrings right.
Is It OK to Wear Matching Necklace and Earrings?
The distance between the ears and the neckline is very minimal, as such there should be some cohesion when it comes to pairing your necklace with your earrings. While the two are sold as a pair most of the time, some individuals find it dull and boring wearing the same earrings and necklace.
If you don’t wish for your jewelry to look like a set, you can vary them based on size, shape, color, design, or metal. For example, your pearl earrings could be thicker than your pearl necklace. Alternatively, you could wear cold earrings paired with a silver necklace, or layers of both silver and gold necklaces.
The whole idea is to differentiate the two but not entirely that they do not compliment each other. Also, certain outfits don’t require both a necklace and earrings. Depending on the neckline especially, sometimes you may have to forego the necklace.
Tips for Matching Your Necklace and Earrings
Do you wish to mix and match your necklace and earrings but don’t know where to start? You don’t have to worry, here are a few tips that can guide you on the best way to mix and match your necklace and earrings:
- Try different materials.You could decide to mix up the metals or gemstones of your earrings and necklaces. Simply identify the base material of the jewelry and use it as a reference when making the mix and match to help it be more complimentary. An example is pairing white gold earrings with a silver necklace. Or a rose gold necklace with yellow gold earrings.
- Shape and size.This is the simplest way to play around with your necklace and jewelry pieces. If you’re wearing a statement necklace, then you should pair them with simple earrings to avoid overdoing it and looking comical. Similarly, you could pair chunky earrings with a thin simple necklace.
- Color coordination.Mix and matching color is very important. It would look out of place if you are wearing earrings with blue gems and a necklace with orange or pink gems If you’re going to mix and match the color in pieces of jewelry, ensure they are related hues or colors that complement each other.
- Add a bit of your personality.Jewelry and clothes are all about expressing yourself. By using your personality to mix and match your jewelry, you will end up with a unique set. It also offers a theme that helps the look be cohesive.
- Follow your outfit.As mentioned before, some outfits do not give enough room to mix and match your earrings and necklace. Some necklines also dictate whether or not a necklace is necessary and what kind of it is. So, you can use your outfit as a guide.
Mismatching your earrings or mixing them up with your necklaces is a daring statement that’s unique. You can still, however, match your earrings with your necklaces as a set. At the end of the day, it’s a matter of preference and how confident you have to pull it off.
Stephanie is a jewelry lover when she was a teenager. Her major was fashion design when she was in college. She is a jewelry designer at SOQ Jewelry and other design companies. Now she is also a writer for our website. She writes a lot of designs&brands posts with very actionable tips.