Should you buy tungsten carbide jewelry if you have sensitive skin or if you are worried that the jewelry you buy might cause an adverse skin reaction?
Well, this article takes you through all you need to know about tungsten carbide jewelry and the jewelry is hypoallergenic or not. Let’s get into it!
What is tungsten carbide?
Tungsten is a very hard metal that melts at very high-temperature conditions. And top of that, tungsten is quite dense and also surprisingly heavy. So, thanks to these properties and their durability, tungsten is the most preferred metal for people looking for the most durable jewelry options. It’s also quite robust, but it can be hard to work with.
Tungsten carbide, on the other hand, is an alloy formed from the blend of tungsten and carbon. The resultant material, tungsten carbide, is durable even more durable than pure tungsten. But between the two, tungsten carbide, rather than pure tungsten, is what’s often used in making jewelry. That said, tungsten carbide contains trace amounts of nickel, and if you have sensitive skin, it might not be the best option for you.
Tungsten carbide boasts a high melting point; it’s hard and pretty dense. In its untreated state, tungsten is available in a deep gray color, but it could be polished, carved, or sandblasted for improved aesthetics and finishes.
In most cases, the best quality of tungsten carbide is made of 80% pure tungsten, and alloying tungsten with carbon or other metals results in a stronger and more durable version of tungsten that is resistant to tarnishing, also strong, and hypoallergenic. Tungsten carbide also maintains its polish for the rest of its life.
Is tungsten carbide hypoallergenic?
Essentially, tungsten carbide is an affordable metal(we write a topic here, why tungsten ring is so cheap?)alternative to platinum and gold, and it is an excellent option for you if you are looking for a scratch-resistant and tarnish-resistant metal that will last long.
If you have sensitive skin, you will be happy to know that jewelry made of tungsten carbide is safe on your skin, thanks to the fact that tungsten carbide will not illicit any allergic reaction. But there’s one catch, some versions of tungsten carbide may have trace amounts of nickel that may trigger an allergic reaction, especially if you have very sensitive skin.
Most people are, however, able to wear tungsten carbide jewelry, even when they’ve suffered from skin irritations in the past because the nickel that could be present in this tungsten alloy is often too low to cause a reaction. Even so, we recommend that you ask for the nickel-free and hypoallergenic tungsten carbide.
Also, bear in mind that hypoallergenic jewelry doesn’t mean that the jewelry will not cause allergies or skin reactions; all it means is that there is a very low risk of the jewelry triggering an allergic reaction.
Why is tungsten carbide e hypoallergenic?
During the manufacture of tungsten carbide rings, the tungsten used often contains binders for either cobalt or nickel, which means that despite the presence of nickel in the tungsten carbide jewelry, the resultant alloy is often hypoallergenic.
Ideally, the processes involved in the combination of tungsten and nickel, for example, result in nickel that is very well bonded with tungsten such that the trace amounts of nickel lose the ability to even react with your skin.
Keep in mind, however, that not all kinds of tungsten carbide jewelry will be safe on the skin, which means that the metals that make the tungsten alloy must be made of hypoallergenic metals or combined with a bonded metal that is hypoallergenic.
So, if you are looking for skin-safe tungsten carbide jewelry, then you should settle for the nickel-bound tungsten carbide that is 100% hypoallergenic. The bound nickel means that despite nickel being known as an allergen or an irritant, it will not react with your skin or cause irritation. In other words, hypoallergenic tungsten carbide jewelry is nickel-bound tungsten carbide.
Detailed pros and cons of tungsten carbide
- Tungsten is incredibly durable, and you can comfortably keep your ring on when doing house chores. Essentially, tungsten carbide is up to 4x harder than titanium and two times harder than steel, which means that tungsten carbide jewelry is pretty much scratch-proof.
- Nickel-bound tungsten carbide jewelry is hypoallergenic, 100% safe on the skin, and ideal for you if you have sensitive skin or are afraid that your skin would get irritated from interaction with nickel or other allergens.
- Tungsten-carbide jewelry especially rings a comfortable fit, and you can easily work and get chores done with the wedding ring on.
- Given the high resistance level, durability, and the scratch-resistance of tungsten carbide, you will be happy to know that tungsten carbide rings and jewelry in general often comes with a lifetime warranty in case the ring breaks.
- Tungsten carbide rings are high-quality rings with a nice, luxurious finish, and they look exactly like platinum jewelry.
- Tungsten carbide jewelry is worth your money, and at its high purity level of 80%, tungsten carbide is up to 10x harder and more durable than 18k gold.
- Low cost of maintenance, and you wouldn’t have to polish it for as long as the jewelry is in your possession and if you take good care of it.
- High-quality and durable rings worth investing in
- The hardness and high density of tungsten carbide mean that it is impossible to resize a tungsten carbide ring. And in the event of an emergency, the ring would be hard to remove. Well, unless a lot of force is applied to crack or break the ring.
- The rings cannot be resized because it is incredibly hard
- It is not malleable, and it doesn’t allow for the most intricate jewelry design options
Should you buy tungsten carbide jewelry?
Tungsten carbide jewelry is durable, and it’s a great affordable option for you if you are looking for the best alternative to jewelry made of gold or silver.
Tungsten carbide pieces of jewelry are also low-maintenance pieces, and you wouldn’t have to worry about polishing the jewelry.
Tungsten carbide jewelry that is nickel-bonded is hypoallergenic and safe on your skin, durable, and worth your money.
Tiger is a fashion&jewelry lover. He is also a fashion jewelry manufacturer that help thousands of small business to grow and also do business with some big fashion jewelry brands. He is a truly metal expert and he will share some information you are looking for.