Is cobalt a good metal for wedding rings? Cobalt has also become an alternative metal that gets used for jewelry today. Mostly, you will find men gravitating towards this metal for their wedding band.
They will opt for it instead of platinum or white gold, and the popularity for it is growing. That said, cobalt is away from the traditionally known metals, and thus, people don’t know a lot about it. Here, we are going to look at what cobalt is and help you make the right decision about whether or not to purchase it.
However, what we can say off the bat is that cobalt is indeed an excellent metal for rings. Here is a great wedding ring topic: 10 Hypoallergenic Metals for Engagement Rings. If you want to know more, please read it
Brief History of cobalt
The metal cobalt is indeed relatively rare. It is found in veins underground. The name cobalt comes from the German name ‘kobald,’ which means evil spirit or goblin. The name came about due to superstitions.
Cobalt made it to the Periodic Table in 1735 when it was identified as a metal in its own right. It is a transitional metal and has similar properties to silver, platinum, and tungsten. One thing to note is that when cobalt is in its pure form, it is not suitable for jewelry. It is alloyed so that it can become stronger and equally more malleable.
Cobalt properties and usage?
The metals that you find alloyed with cobalt tent to be tungsten, iron, or chromium. The other name for cobalt is cobalt chrome, and that is because the chromium content tends to be high in cobalt jewelry. Before purchasing cobalt, you ought to ask what other metals are present. That is because some cobalt jewelry gets alloyed with nickel, which is an allergen for some people. If you have sensitive skin, that is the last thing you want on your jewelry or even a wedding ring. Overall, cobalt jewelry is widely considered hypoallergenic. It is something to consider when you’re purchasing wedding rings.
What is cobalt wedding rings?
Not all cobalt rings are silver in color. You can get black cobalt that is gaining popularity. The reason for that is they are unique in appearance, which goes perfectly well with the modern look that people look for. The other kinds of cobalt that you can get are plated. You can have it plated gold if that is what you want. It is cheaper, and you still get to enjoy the gold for a while before you have to go get it plated again.
Pros of cobalt as a wedding ring
Let us explore the good things that we like about cobalt
- Cobalt chrome is the only metal that closely resembles white gold. That is because they are highly reflective and thus gleam just as much as white gold. Not everyone is keen about jewelry and how they look, so you’ll be able to get away with the look that you’re wearing white gold. Thus, you can have the look for a fraction of the price.
- Cobalt does not require regular plating the way white gold does. That means you’re able to enjoy the shine and the luster of cobalt for a longer time. The other good thing about cobalt is that it does not tarnish or corrode easily, so you’re able to wear it for a longer time.
- Cobalt is affordable when you compare the pricing to precious metals. If you’re on a budget, then you want to opt for cobalt because it is going to do your pocket well. Overall, it is less expensive than gold or platinum, even if you have diamonds. However, it is essential to note that the workmanship of the ring does influence how much you pay for a cobalt ring.
- The other likable aspect of cobalt is that it is extremely scratch resistant. Men tend to like it for the fact that it is scratch-resistant and also corrosion-resistant. It is durable, meaning that they can go about different things without having to worry about the state of the ring when they are done. If you’re handy with your hands, then you can consider getting a cobalt ring. Also, they do not break or lose their form.
- Cobalt is harder than gold, palladium, or platinum, so it works better for daily wear. Even when the ring is under pressure, you don’t have to worry about it bending. Also, during an emergency, the good thing about cobalt is that you can easily cut it.
- Cobalt is not too light or too heavy. It is the same weight as white gold. That way, when you have a ring on, you’re able to enjoy the feeling of having something on your finger. In short, you can’t forget that you have a ring on it.
- Cobalt is hypoallergenic. If you have any issues with other metals, gold included, you can opt for cobalt, and your skin will not react with it. You will also find that chrome cobalt gets used in making surgical instruments and even in dental and joint implants. That is the case because it is a biocompatible metal, so you can wear it safely.
Cons of cobalt as a wedding ring
- When it comes to resizing, you’re going to have a hard time with a cobalt ring. It is not impossible, but the jeweler will have a hard time taking on the job. (Click this link for more details)In some cases, if you cannot find someone to do it, then you’ll end up having to get a replacement ring. The reality is that fingers do tend to change size over time, so you’ll have to start a chapter of your life with a new ring, which often tends to be the case.
- When it comes to finishes, the variety is limited. Most cobalt rings are for males. The design finish that you will get is either a satin finish, inlay, matte-finish, wood grain, hammered-finish, or patterned. These designs are minimal and mostly for men. Engraving is also difficult. Women will have a harder time getting a designed ring that meets modern standards.
Cobalt is ideal if you’re looking for something inexpensive and long-lasting. It also looks prestigious because it maintains the luster for a long time.
For more posts, visit this page for more valuable information.
Tiger is a fashion&jewelry lover. He is also a fashion jewelry manufacturer that help thousands of small business to grow and also do business with some big fashion jewelry brands. He is a truly metal expert and he will share some information you are looking for.