Cross rings have been around for a while, and they are steadily becoming a growing trend. They come in a wide variety of designs, materials, and other features, and they can be worn by both men and women.
The cross symbol holds a certain value to many people, and this is one of the reasons why cross jewelry is very popular. It transcends gender, age, and many other factors. One of the easiest ways to accessorize using a cross is by wearing a ring.
There are many other jewelry styles such as necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and others, but in this article, we are going to look into some of the best ways to wear your cross ring. Before we do, though, let’s define a cross ring.
So, what is a cross ring?
A cross ring is any type of finger ring that comes with the cross symbol. There are many ways to include the cross on the ring with the most common methods being a print, an engraving, or a cross that is part of the ring’s circumference.
There are many types of crosses that can be used in rings which include but are not limited to the Celtic cross, Armenian Cross, the Key of Life, the Iron Cross, a Crucifix, a Latin Cross, and many others.
In essence, the ring-wearer picks the ring that speaks to and of them the best. Simple as it may be, a cross ring has the capacity to speak volumes if the message is laid across plainly.
What does a cross symbolize, and what does wearing a cross ring mean?
Crosses have been used in many places and occasions to mean many things. However, they are in current times used for three main reasons as detailed below.
- As a declaration of devotion to Christ. Christians, for more than 2,000 years, have held the cross in high regard as they believe it is a symbol of their salvation and a reminder of the same in their everyday lives. Christians use the cross as a way of showing their devotion to their savior, Jesus Christ. A small cross on a piece of jewelry such as a ring identifies its wearer as a Christian without their having to articulate the same.
- A cross, thanks to the influence of Christianity, is seen as a symbol of love. For this reason, many people offer cross jewelry such as rings, pendants, earrings, and bracelets as gifts as ways of declaring their love for someone. It is seen by many as a subtle way of showing unconditional and committed love.
- Finally, some people only use it as a fashion statement. They do not hold any religious or sentimental beliefs, and their choice to wear cross jewelry is largely informed by their fashion sense. They will, for this reason, wear cross earrings, pendants, bracelets, earrings, and other jewelry pieces as accessories.
Pros and Cons of wearing a cross ring
- It is an open declaration of your faith
A cross, as earlier mentioned, is mostly associated with Christianity, and every time you see a person in one, you automatically assume they are Christian. If you hope to wear your faith boldly and unapologetically without having to explain yourself, a cross is easily one of the best ways to do it. With a cross ring, you will be declaring your Christianity without using any words.
- A cross ring allows you to stand out fashionably speaking
Cross jewelry, no matter how small, has a way of standing out. With a ring, even as you make a declaration of faith, you will be able to also make a fashion statement at the same time.
- It can have a therapeutic effect
Seeing as the cross is associated with salvation and freedom, many people who are experiencing lots of struggles have said that cross jewelry allows them to feel a sense of comfort. It reminds them that a higher being is looking out for them which allows them to feel secure.
- You could easily pass the wrong message
While the cross is associated with love and freedom by many Christians and people of other religious beliefs, others view it as a symbol of oppression. Romans, in the past, used it as a tool of torture and death for criminals. This should, however, not deter you from wearing one if you want to.
What finger do you wear a cross ring on?
Unlike engagement rings and wedding bands that have specific fingers on which they are worn, cross rings have no rules or expectations to which they are limited. This is to mean that you can wear a cross ring on any of the 5 fingers you prefer.
It is important to bear in mind, however, that wearing a cross ring on the ring finger of your right hand means that you are saving yourself for your future spouse, but this is not to mean that you cannot wear one on that same finger if you are already married.
A real quick guide on how to wear a cross ring
Have the cross on the ring face you
Remember that, in as much as you are making a statement, the cross needs to face you and not away from you.
To wear your cross-ring right, have the longer part of the cross closest to your body, and the shorter side of the same farthest away.
This way, if it is a crucifix, you will be able to see Christ upright.
Accentuate it with another ring
If you are married or engaged and are wearing a wedding band or engagement ring, you can wear your cross ring on the same finger to make them both stand out.
They may work well together, especially if their designs complement each other.
With cross jewelry becoming more and more popular, jewelers are trying as best as they can to come up with many intriguing and striking designs, as well as others that are cool and subtle.
You can actually get a 24K gold cross ring embellished with diamonds, or something as simple as a plain but polished stainless-steel design.
Whichever your preference, you will definitely find something to suit you, but make sure you wear it right and accentuate it as best as you can.
Stephanie is a jewelry lover when she was a teenager. Her major was fashion design when she was in college. She is a jewelry designer at SOQ Jewelry and other design companies. Now she is also a writer for our website. She writes a lot of designs&brands posts with very actionable tips.