Gold or silver chain for guys? That has been a long-standing debate when it comes to the precious metal we should opt for when purchasing jewelry. Here, we are going to look at chains in particular.
We’ll highlight what gold chains and silver chains are, noting their advantages and disadvantages. Lastly, we’ll help you get the answer to the question- which one is better?
What is a gold chain?
As the name indicates, a gold chain is one that’s made from gold. However, it is not pure gold since it is too soft to use in jewelry making.
You’ll, therefore, fine gold chains in the market are gold alloys. Calling it an alloy means that it has other metals mixed with the gold, such as copper, brass, or nickel, though it’s mostly copper.
The ratio of gold to alloy is represented in karats. When you see a chain labeled 14k gold, it means that it contains 58.3 perfect gold, while 18k gold contains 75 percent gold.
The higher the karat, the more expensive a gold chain would cost. There are also other types of gold jewelry, such as plated, filled, or electroplated.
All these comprise of a base metal made from copper, brass, or any other metal and then have a thin layer of gold added. These are, of course, cheaper than karat gold, and they also tend to fade with time, exposing the metal underneath.
What is a silver chain?
When people talk about silver jewelry, they are referring to sterling silver. That’s because, just like gold, pure silver is soft and difficult to work with.
It won’t maintain its shape as it will bend quite easily. Therefore, what you’ll find in the market is 92.5 percent silver, with the remaining percentage containing mostly copper, which makes the metal tough.
Even though your silver chain is an alloy, it is not cheap because of the silver content. It is, however, worthwhile given how long it will serve you.
When you’re purchasing sterling silver pieces, ensure that you get them from a genuine distributor.
You can also check for signs of authenticity, for example, it having a 925 stamp to show that it is indeed sterling silver. The reason you should exercise caution is that there are a lot of fake sterling silver chains in circulation.
One telling sign is that they’ll be cheaper, and after a while, the silver plating at the top will fade, exposing the sterling silver underneath.
Pros & cons of gold chains
Want to get a gold chain? Let’s look at what makes it an appealing purchase and what to be mindful of.
- Gold doesn’t tarnish over time; it retains its color for decades and still maintains its value
- Gold is a worthy investment and still fetches a handsome price even during economic turmoil
- The malleable nature of gold makes it easier to work with and also make intricate designs
- Even with minimal cleaning, you can keep your gold looking new
- Gold remains a status symbol and thus attracts more attention
- You can get gold chains in different colors: yellow, white and rose
- Gold is soft and that easily scratched, particularly when worn daily
- Gold is not hypoallergenic
- There are a lot of fake gold jewelry in the market, or plated items being passed as the real thing
Pros & cons of silver chains
Let’s not turn to sterling silver to see what qualities make a chain made from the material a fantastic buy, and what might disappoint you.
- Despite being an alloy, sterling silver is still considered a precious metal
- The finishing of sterling silver pieces tends to be attractive and have a classic finish
- You can get your chain in two types; either with a gloss or matte finish
- The metal is durable and lasts for decades; you only need to polish it when needed
- It does form a natural patina after a while for a more rustic look and feels
- You can have stones added to your sterling silver chain for a personalized look
- Even though sterling silver chains can last you decades, they do tarnish and need care
- The metal is not hypoallergenic
- There are too many fake sterling silvers in the market passing as the real thing
Choosing between the two?
The type of chain you go for has largely to do with your outfit and also skin tone. For those who have olive skin, then gold would go better while those with pale or fair skin look better with silver.
Even so, your other accessories will also determine which metal you’ll purchase or wear. Say if you have a silver watch, then it is best to wear a silver chain to that you’re matching.
You don’t want to wear two different metals at the same time as it’s not fashion-forward.
Now that you have insight into what gold chains and silver chains are, you can make a personal yet educated decision about which one is best for you.
Guys, thanks for reading. Personally, I love the silver chain more. For more useful tips, please visit this page for more.
And, most importantly, remember to check more latest posts here.
Tiger is a fashion&jewelry lover. He is also a fashion jewelry manufacturer that help thousands of small business to grow and also do business with some big fashion jewelry brands. He is a truly metal expert and he will share some information you are looking for.