Do gold plated tungsten rings fade? You ask this question because your gold color tungsten rings fade. Right now, Tungsten rings are increasingly gaining popularity as they have been identified as a cheaper and more unique alternative to traditional metals like gold, silver, and platinum. In this article, we are going to look at what tungsten is and the color.
Also, we will venture to answer the question of whether gold plated tungsten rings fade. By the end, you should know what you’re in for when you purchase a tungsten ring and also how to care for it so that it can serve you for years to come.
Before knowing more on this topic, we have to know:
What is tungsten?
Tungsten is indeed a rare metal found naturally on Earth. It is usually combined with other elements and not used alone. The new element was first identified in 1781 by Carl Wilhelm Scheele and as an isolated metal in 1783. The name tungsten is from a former Swedish name that means “heavy stone” which is fitting because it is the heaviest known element. The other word for tungsten is wolfram. What makes this metal stand out is that it has the highest melting point of all the elements. It also has the highest boiling point. Both these are true when it is in its purest form.
When in the raw form, tungsten is brittle and hard to work with. When refined and in the pure form, it because easier to work with as it is malleable. Most of the tungsten in the world are found in China, Canada, Russia, Vietnam, and Bolivia. Another aspect to note about metallic tungsten carbide rings is that they are brittle and can crack when dealt a sharp blow.
What color is tungsten?
First, let us look at what color tungsten is. That way, if your gold plated tungsten ring were to fade, you know what to look out for. The color of tungsten is steel gray. It is twice as dark as platinum or white gold. That is how you can tell them apart from the other metals. There is the misconception that it is black; it is dark, but it still falls under the silver shade category.
Black tungsten rings are so because they have been coated with black zirconium that makes the ring jet black. The finish is exceptionally durable though it will scratch off over time when not taken good care of. If you want it to remain beautiful over time, you ought to take it off when working with your hands. That way, you don’t expose it to unnecessary scratches and bumps. Couples are now gravitating toward these black tungsten rings when they don’t want to follow the traditional route.
The other type of tungsten that we are going to talk about in this article is the gold tungsten ring. It is an ideal alternative to expensive gold. In this case, the tungsten gets coated with gold zirconium. Just as with the black rings, you will have to give extra care to gold tungsten. If worn in rough work environments, they will scratch over time.
Do gold plated tungsten rings fade?
As we pick up from the last thought, we can say yes, gold plated tungsten rings fade over time. However, it will take quite a bit for that to happen. To keep the gold plated layer available for a long time, you have to ensure that you take extra measures to maintain the ring in proper shape. We will discuss this at the end of the article.
Do Black tungsten carbide rings fade?
As mentioned, black tungsten carbide rings do fade over time. It is up to you to take the necessary precautions to keep the ring looking new for longer. However, that should not let you shy away from purchasing a black tungsten carbide ring. It will serve you for a long time before you feel it is time to take it to the jewelers for a fresh coating of black zirconium.
Gold plated tungsten rings care tips
Let us look at some of the things that you should and shouldn’t do with regards to caring for your gold plated tungsten ring.
- Wait until the cream or lotion you’ve applied to dry before putting on your ring. People have the habit of applying lotion with their rings on, which is not the best thing to do. What happens is that the interaction between the two causes a reaction.
- Remove your ring when exercising or engaging in strenuous activities. That is because sweat also reacts with the metal.
- Clean your gold plated tungsten ring with a cotton swab or a soft cloth every time you take it off. You want to remove any dust, dirt, oils, or sweat that has accumulated on the ring.
- Use a soft jewelry cloth to polish the ring and restore the shine when you feel it is fading.
- In case you get dirt and other substances on your ring, you can use warm water with mild soap to soak the ring. Let is rest for a few minutes before using a soft cloth or brush to clean it. Dry thoroughly after rinsing it.
- When storing the ring, wrap it in a soft cloth or put it in its own jewelry bag to avoid it getting scratches from other metals
- In general, do not spray perfume when wearing gold plated jewelry. You don’t want the chemicals in the perfume to interact with the metal
- Don’t use jewelry cleaners or antibacterial soap when cleaning your gold plated tungsten ring. That is because specific components in these liquids may cause the ring to tarnish even quicker
There is a lot to love about tungsten rings. With proper care and maintenance, you should be able to enjoy wearing your gold plated or black tungsten ring for decades to come. Only remember to use the tips we have shared with you for that to be possible.
Tiger is a fashion&jewelry lover. He is also a fashion jewelry manufacturer that help thousands of small business to grow and also do business with some big fashion jewelry brands. He is a truly metal expert and he will share some information you are looking for.