If you are planning to get an adjustable ring to ensure maximum comfort, despite your arthritic fingers or just because you need something that looks great for your thin or slightly thick fingers, you will be happy to know that there are countless options on the market for you to choose from.
These adjustable rings come in different shapes and sizes, and they are made of varied materials, including copper and magnets. But are the adjustable rings any comfortable?
What are adjustable rings?
Before we explore the details regarding the comfort levels of the adjustable rings, what are they?
An adjustable ring, also called a free-size ring, can be defined as a ring that’s designed with a little gap to allow you to adjust and expand the ring to about half a ring size.
So, if you are looking for a ring and your finger is technically a size 10, but you have bigger knuckles, you’d need an adjustable ring because it can expand slightly, fitting through your knuckles easily.
This is a particularly great function, especially if you have arthritic fingers and you’re looking for a ring that will fit in your fingers comfortably. What this means is that the adjustable rings are significantly more versatile than the traditional rings, which means that they are an excellent investment if you are looking for something unique with a good fit.
Are adjustable rings good?
The adjustable rings offer a wide range of benefits, and if you find yourself struggling to fit in rings or just stopped wearing rings because they don’t fit right, then the adjustable rings would be an excellent option for you.
As mentioned above, the adjustable rings feature a tiny gap that makes it possible for you to easily expand the ring by about half one ring size. So, the ring will fit comfortably through your knuckles, and you can adjust the ring back once it passes through.
The ring will also be a great fit for you if you are worried about the fit and the comfort of the ring, especially if you are having arthritic pain from a flare-up. This means that instead of wearing an ill-fitting ring or giving up on rings altogether, you’d get the adjustable ring because it does the trick perfectly.
The other reason why the adjustable rings are great is that these rings come in various types, meaning that there is pretty much something for everyone.
And if you are looking for a ring but you are unsure about the size, then the adjustable ring ensures that you still have a perfectly fitting and elegant ring.
Also, the adjustable rings make the best statement rings.
Types of adjustable rings
Also called the free size rings, the adjustable rings allow for slight tightening or expansion of the ring, as needed, and all you’d have to do is to squeeze the ring in place for a perfect fit. These rings come in different shapes and sizes, but you need to take good care of the ring because constant size adjustment might weaken the ring or force it out of shape.
Generally, the types of adjustable rings vary depending on the shape and the design, as well as the materials used to make the ring. Overall, the most common types of adjustable rings are made out of ordinary materials like gold, sterling silver, stainless steel, platinum, brass, or copper. It might have a feature that stands out and adds character to the ring, for example, a floral metal design or a diamond, or any other kind of gemstone.
The most common of adjustable rings, however, is the adjustable ring for arthritic fingers. Often, this ring is made of copper and/or powerful magnets because these materials are said to be effective in pain and inflammation management.
How does an adjustable ring work?
Essentially, the ring comes at a slightly bigger size thanks to the gap between the ends of the ring – this gap allows for size adjustment upwards or downwards, meaning you get to tighten or loosen the ring thanks to the gap in the band. For the adjustment, you only need to squeeze it into space, and it will remain open or ‘closed’ depending on the level of tightness or comfort that you are going for. Just be careful not to adjust the ring too often because some of the adjustable ring designs would bend easily and out of shape when stretched and tightened too often.
To adjust the ring upwards, follow these simple steps:
- Using both hands to get the perfect grip on either side of the ring, gently and slowly pull the ring outwards, but by a very small margin.
- Simultaneously, you could use your thumbs to apply pressure at the top of the ring, albeit gently. Doing this helps you maintain the ring’s round shape.
- Once done, test the ring’s fit on the desired finger. If it doesn’t fit right, keep repeating the adjustment until you get the perfect fit. And make sure that the ring fits well for comfort.
Making The Ring Smaller
- First, wear the ring on the desired finger, then, using your index finger and the thumb, gently but slowly squeeze inward the band – but by a very small margin.
- You could also opt to use the thumbs, gently applying pressure on the ring’s top side. This helps in maintaining the ring’s round shape.
- Repeat the resizing as above until the ring fits well/ comfortably.
How to remove your adjustable ring
To remove the ring, you need to twist the ring upwards slowly to be able to get the ring out of your finger. You don’t have to resize it unless it cannot fit through your knuckles, in which case you’d have to make it slightly larger for it to go past the knuckle. But whatever you do with your adjustable ring, be gentle.
Do adjustable rings break?
If too much pressure is applied to the ring, it might break. In most cases, however, the ring would bend out of shape if you apply too much pressure on it.
The good news is that adjustable rings made of materials like sterling silver will not really break, but they would bend out of shape easily if too much pressure is applied on the ring.
The ring could also break if it’s made of a thin band or if the material used for the ring is too brittle.
Pros and cons of adjustable rings
- The rings are easily adjustable
- Suitable for persons with slightly bigger knuckles
- You don’t have to get the right ring size with adjustable rings, thanks to their largely free sizing
- Most of the adjustable rings are ideal for persons struggling with arthritis and arthritic pain
- A ring is a great option that can be given as a gift because you won’t have to worry about a wrong sizing
- They are available in a wide range of eye-catching designs, and they are also quite versatile, allowing for a great deal of versatility.
- They don’t allow for resizing.
- Too much stretching and contracting can be damaging to the ring
How to use adjustable ring
When it comes to the adjustable rings, what you need to know is that the ring size can be easily adjusted upwards or downwards, depending on the desired fit. And when resizing the ring, make sure that the ring is on the desired finger first. This ensures the maintenance of the structural integrity of the ring.
When adjusting the ring, the other thing you should know is to never pull the metal directly outwards because doing that would stretch the ring too much, and it might even break if the ring is brittle or just thin.
Adjustable rings are comfortable, flattering, and they are available in various shapes and sizes, often allowing everyone a taste of great fashion.